As a legal support professional at Torys, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. Our positions are best suited to individuals who take pride and ownership in their work and demonstrate exceptional client service in everything they do. In return, we offer a wide range of legal assistant opportunities and work arrangements, and competitive compensation and benefits, along with the tools required to excel in the job. Torys is committed to a continuous learning environment; we therefore provide extensive training to our employees upon hire and during the course of their career at Torys.
Senior Manager, Legal Support (Toronto)
The Senior Manager, Legal Support is responsible for the effective delivery of legal support services provided to the Toronto legal professionals.
Attraction, Retention & Development
- Working closely with Human Resources, participate in recruiting all legal support positions. Interview candidates to assess fit and suitability and make all final hiring decisions. Work closely with Human Resources, Learning & Development, and the Floor/Off Hours Leaders to successfully onboard and integrate new hires into the firm.
- Work with the Floor/Off Hours Leaders to assess the skills and capabilities of the legal support team on an ongoing basis to determine any training and development needs. Partner with the Learning & Development team to create development plans including internal and external training as appropriate.
- Identify the career aspirations for all assistants and seek out opportunities to utilize strengths to promote engagement and career development opportunities.
Service Standards and Performance Management
- Work with the Director, Human Resources to continuously assess and evolve the legal support model to meet the changing needs of the legal professionals and the firm overall. Work closely with the Floor Leaders to understand the individual support requirements of each legal professional and incorporate these requirements into the service level standards for their legal support.
- Oversee the performance review process for all legal support. Provide guidance to Floor/Off Hours Leaders in the collection of performance feedback from legal professionals and assist with the drafting of performance review messages for legal support team. Working with the Floor/Off Hours Leaders, calibrate performance and participate in the delivery of review messages.
- Work closely with Human Resources and Floor/Off Hours Leaders to create action plans to address any performance concerns, as required.
- Assess current processes, workflow and technology, and make recommendations to improve efficiency and effectiveness of support provided. Work closely with the Floor/Off Hours Leaders and other departments to advocate for changes and continuous improvement initiatives to enhance the day-to-day work productivity of legal support professionals.
- Maintain awareness and keep abreast of changes in the legal industry to ensure we are keeping pace with industry-specific trends.
Work Allocation, Budgeting & Reporting
- Work closely with Floor/Off Hours Leaders to manage and assess workload, work distribution, and ratios within their teams; provide guidance and support to address any issues and/or inefficiencies, adjusting the service model as necessary.
- Develop the annual legal support expense budget and manage expenses within the approved budget limits. Provide monthly reporting and analysis of key performance metrics such as overtime, utilization, share ratios. Make recommendations for change where needed.
- Build strong working relationships with legal professionals, the Floor/Off Hours Leaders, legal support team, and other stakeholders throughout the firm.
- Working with the Floor/Off Hours Leaders, motivate legal support team to do their best work. Work collaboratively to address obstacles impacting peak performance, and brainstorm to find opportunities to improve the support provided to the legal professionals.
- Work closely with Human Resources and the Floor/Off Hours Leaders to address any employee relations issues. Deal with interpersonal issues sensitively through open communication and shared problem-solving.
- Provide direction, coaching, and development support to the Floor/Off Hours Leaders to ensure they are engaged, capable, and meeting the expected service standards.
- Act as the Business Continuity Coordinator for the legal support team should the firm enact their Business Continuity Plan. Implement, communicate, and coordinate the plan to ensure the continued delivery of legal support services.
- Participate in projects and initiatives as required.
ATTRIBUTES & EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary degree/diploma (within Human Resources preferred).
- 8 to 10 years of experience as a supervisor or manager, preferably within a professional services firm. • Proficient in MS Office product suite.
- Experience coordinating multiple teams, overseeing projects, and coaching people.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to establish and build trust-based working relationships.
- Natural ability to establish, lead, and be a role model for healthy team dynamics such as supportive collaboration, inclusive communication, joint problem-solving, and conflict resolution.
- Track record of challenging the status quo to make things better, improving ways of working, and delivering service in a more efficient and effective way.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral); ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels within the organization with tact and diplomacy.
- Sound judgment including the ability to deal with confidential information with utmost discretion.
- Exceptional client service skills with a proven track record of ‘going above and beyond’ to service clients.
- Strong organizational, attention to detail, and time management skills to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work overtime to meet client demands when required.
Please address your resume and cover letter, stating your salary expectations to Firm Admin Recruiting (email@example.com).
We thank all applicants for their interest in Torys LLP; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Jenny Tavares, Senior Manager, Human Resources.