About The LSC
We are excited to announce that the LSC is growing! Interested in being part of a team that is working on the largest and most complex transactions in the country? Dreaming of an ocean breeze? Wondering where you can do both? Opened in 2015 and based in Halifax, Nova Scotia, the Torys Legal Services Centre (LSC) was designed to seamlessly enhance the value we provide our clients by providing all Torys offices with fully integrated and specialized expertise in essential corporate services.
Our bright, open concept office space allows for collaboration among team members and promotes true Haligonian style: friendly and welcoming, and only steps away from the Atlantic Ocean. At the LSC, we are focused on working differently – this is your chance to be a part of cutting-edge legal process development and innovation hub. We also offer a hybrid working model and the option to work from home 2 to 3 days per week.
We are currently seeking an associate to join our Legal Services Centre (LSC) in Halifax, Nova Scotia. This is a unique role as your work will be focused with one of our key clients. You will work closely with your team to ensure a high level of efficiency, timeliness, accuracy and expertise in reviewing, drafting and filing complex, public securities documents.
We are seeking someone who,
- views process and efficiency improvements as an important part of client service and enjoys finding new and improved ways to complete complex, recurring legal work;
- is excited to apply technology and automation in a legal setting in furtherance of client needs and team goals;
- wants to engage in important work for a specialized team at a prestigious client in a flexible and collaborative setting;
- has a willingness to learn and develop and has a strong sense of initiative and personal accountability;
- is able to work flexible hours when required to meet client demands; and
- has a superior eye for detail, can readily spot inconsistencies or errors, and can collaborate well internally and with the client to deliver the highest quality work products;
- exercises excellent judgment, time management and organization, and has superior communication skills.
This is a non-partnership track long-term career role, ideal for a lawyer who prefers to focus on practising law. You will not have to devote time to marketing or client development. We will provide the training you need to succeed in this role.
Skills & Experience
The ideal candidate will:
- have at least one year of experience as a corporate associate and be in good standing with the Law Society of Ontario or the Nova Scotia Barristers’ Society;
- have exceptional attention to detail and willingness to collaborate;
- have superior client service skills and a strong work ethic;
- be highly organized, self-motivated and proactive; eager to take ownership of projects and able to advance work independently;
- be team-oriented with exceptional interpersonal skills, a positive attitude and a commitment to shared success;
- have the ability to deal easily with ambiguity and change, including changing priorities, timelines and processes;
- have the ability to work in fast-paced environment and manage multiple hard deadlines;
- have excellent judgment and the ability to embrace new challenges and focus on continuing professional development; and
- have strong knowledge of Microsoft Office and other Microsoft applications, along with experience working in a document management system and using a time entry billing system.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should forward their resume in confidence to Kimberly Sheldrake-Head, Director, Professional Resources at [email protected].
At Torys we are committed to diversity in the recruitment, retention and advancement of our people. We believe that diversity of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives enhances the quality of our work and enriches our lives. We are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible work environment. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities. If you require immediate accommodation at any time during the recruitment process, please contact Kim Sheldrake-Head.