April 04, 2018
We are very happy to announce that, in their 2018 Q1 league tables, Bloomberg ranked Torys first in M&A by volume for Canada-announced deals, with approximately US$27.201 billion in deal value—nearly 45% of the market share.
We are also excited to report that Torys has been ranked among the top 20 advisers in the world for Global Announced Deals (by volume), the only Canadian firm to be included.
These rankings are a reflection of the great relationships we strive to build with our clients and the trust they put in us to help them with their transactional work and get deals done wherever their business takes them.
Below are some of the deals which led to our rankings:
- Thomson Reuters, as Canadian counsel, in its proposed US$17 billion sale of its Financial & Risk business to The Blackstone Group L.P.
- Choice Properties REIT in its proposed transformational C$6 billion combination with Canadian REIT to form Canada’s largest real estate investment trust
- CDPQ and Ullico in the proposed US$1.1 billion acquisition of Student Transportation Inc., one of North America's largest and most trusted providers of school bus transportation services
- Scotiabank in its proposed C$950 million acquisition of Jarislowsky, Fraser Limited, one of Canada's leading independent investment firms
- Canaccord Genuity as financial advisor to the special committee of the Board of Directors of Nuuvera Inc. in its proposed C$826 million business combination with Aphria Inc.
For the latest market trend and important rulings and other developments that affect your business, check in with us every quarter for the latest edition of the Torys Quarterly.
To learn more about our M&A practice, click here.