Torys is currently seeking a tax associate with relevant experience ranging from 5 or more years to join our dynamic U.S. tax group in our New York office. Torys is a globally recognized international business law firm with a reputation for quality, innovation and teamwork. Our Tax Practice represents institutional clients in significant U.S. and cross-border corporate transactions and business operations. Our team approach leverages our expertise from across our practice areas, including M&A, securities, real estate, and competition and foreign investment review. Torys has offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary, Montreal and Halifax.
Skills & Experience
An ideal candidate will have:
- at least five years of experience in a U.S. law firm tax practice with experience in U.S. and cross-border transactions;
- drafted and negotiated tax provisions of limited partnership and limited liability company agreements for private funds;
- experience advising non-U.S. institutional investors on tax issues (including structuring) in private fund formation and portfolio investments across a variety of investment strategies, including buyout, credit and real estate, and familiarity with investments in REITs;
- excellent legal research and writing skills;
- excellent interpersonal and drafting skills and a willingness to collaborate;
- a superior client service orientation and a strong work ethic;
- a demonstrable curiosity and interest in tax law;
- the ability to juggle and take primary responsibility for multiple files; and
- the ability to work well both independently and in a team-oriented environment.
The candidate must be a member in good standing of the New York bar.
To apply for this opportunity, please submit your résumé, list of representative transactions and transcripts online here or by email to [email protected]. Applications should be addressed to Dana Schuessler, Director of Professional Resources & Administration.
The Firm pays market salaries to our attorneys. As such, below is the current associate base salary scale:
• 1st year: $215,000
• 2nd year: $225,000
• 3rd year: $250,000
• 4th year: $295,000
• 5th year: $345,000
• 6th year: $370,000
• 7th year: $400,000
Effective November 1, 2022 Torys LLP has suspended its mandatory vaccination policy. While this suspension reflects an improved public health situation, we will continue to monitor the situation closely. The wellbeing of firm members remains our top priority and we remain committed to taking all reasonable measures to provide a safe and healthy workplace. This may include reinstating the mandatory vaccination policy if required.