Here our lawyers discuss the uncertainty regarding the future requirements for engaging with Indigenous peoples. Any changes would have a significant impact on proponents seeking to develop large energy, infrastructure, and mining projects in Canada.
Torys’ Projects Practice includes an internationally recognized, multidisciplinary team of lawyers to help clients to plan, procure, build and finance major capital projects.
Our Projects team has deep experience advising sponsors, lenders, public authorities and contractors on innovative projects in Canada, the United States and internationally. We are known for our work on complex, multijurisdictional projects that span the firm’s Infrastructure, Power, Mining, Oil and Gas, and Real Estate practices.
Our history helping our clients address a broad range of projects-related needs anticipate and efficiently address issues and challenges associated with the complete life cycle: from procurement to financing alternatives (such as PPPs) to secondary market transactions.
Our projects expertise includes advising on:
- project finance;
- public finance;
- tax; and
- securities advice.
Torys’ Projects lawyers have recognized experience and expertise across a broad range of capital-intensive sectors, including:
- Ottawa Light Rail Transit, Ontario’s first commuter rail PPP project and one of the largest municipal PPP projects completed in Canada to date.
- Goreway Station Refinancing, a deal which won Project Finance Magazine’s 2013 North American Single Asset Deal of the Year Award.
- Taiwan Strait Deepwater Exploration Agreement, a first in recent times for a Western operator.
- Mina de Cobre Panama Project. The Cobre Panama copper project is one of the world's largest copper-gold-silver-molybdenum porphyry deposits currently being constructed.
- New Go Transit Bus Terminal, a major mixed-use project in downtown Toronto, that will redevelop the GO Bus Terminal into major transit, commercial and community hub