“a highly respected firm with significant experience in pensions and benefits matters.”
– Chambers Global
On executive compensation matters, our team works alongside relevant practice areas, such as tax, corporate and securities to provide seamless advice on all of the areas that touch executive compensation.
We provide practical, solutions-based advice to public and private companies on:
- The design, implementation and ongoing compliance of various incentive compensation arrangements, including stock options, restricted and performance share units, deferred share units, employee share purchase plans, share appreciation rights, deferred compensation, and cash-based long term incentive plans
- Executive employment agreements, change of control agreements, retention agreements and executive severance agreements
- The drafting and enforceability of restrictive covenants, such as non-competition, non-solicitation and confidentiality
- Compliance with securities laws and stock exchange requirements for equity compensation
- Public company disclosure requirements related to executive compensation
- Best practices with respect to: say on pay, clawbacks, compensation committee governance, view of institutional shareholder groups (such as ISS, Glass Lewis), CCGG best practices, pay for performance, risk mitigation
We also regularly advise on executive compensation issues in the context of mergers and acquisitions and initial public offerings.
In addition, we have deep knowledge of the legal requirements in both Canada and United States which allows us to provide effective, practical advice to cross-listed issuers, Canadian companies with U.S. employees and U.S. companies with Canadian employees. We translate the concepts across borders and are able to clearly explain key differences for each jurisdiction.