Torys’ foreign investment team has worked on many of Canada’s most complex and sensitive transactions. We regularly advise foreign investors and Canadian businesses on Net Benefit reviews under the Investment Canada Act before both the Investment Review Division and the Cultural Sector Investment Review directorate. As part of our practice, we have also represented clients in connection with National Security reviews conducted by Industry Canada, Public Safety Canada and the Canadian security community. Members of our team have written one of the leading texts on foreign investment review and testified before parliamentary committees on the subject.
Foreign investment review has become a critical component of many significant transactions, with issues increasingly having political and security, as well as commercial dimensions. Our team specializes in offering a deep and experienced understanding of the regulatory environment with a commercially and politically attuned mindset to complex reviews. We work with our clients to coordinate and manage regulatory reviews with other key advisers to bring an integrated approach to the foreign investment review process and strategy. We have assisted clients in foreign investment from all parts of the world, including China, Russia and the Middle East.
Our services include:
- advising clients on the application of Canada's foreign investment and national security review laws to Canadian acquisitions;
- guiding those clients through the regulatory review process, including in the negotiation of binding undertakings with the Canadian government;
- coordinating multiple advisers to provide an integrated management approach to complex and multilayered reviews;
- assisting in preparing post-completion government compliance reports; and
- helping clients prepare submissions to government and expert panels.