Torys’ Insurance Regulatory Practice group’s core knowledge and experience are complemented by the expertise of both our leading Bank Regulatory Practice group—which represents clients (including domestic and international insurance companies and brokers) in all aspects of financial services matters—and by our senior litigation counsel, who have extensive trial and appellate experience, particularly in professional liability and corporate matters.
Our clients include retail and institutional insurance advisers and firms, whom we represent in regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings before financial services and insurance regulators. Torys acts as primary corporate and/or litigation counsel to some of the largest insurers in Canada, including Canada Life, Fairfax, Great-West Life, London Life, Northbridge, Manulife, Sun Life and TD Meloche Monnex.
Our experience includes advising on
- registration proceedings before regulators;
- civil proceedings brought by clients for alleged losses sustained in insurance products that have an investment component;
- defence and response to regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings by regulators;
- consumer protection issues;
- insurance contract disputes between insurance brokers and their institutional/business clients;
- internal investigations and regulatory self-reporting regarding potential breaches of regulatory standards;
- assessing client complaints in a quasi-in house compliance and legal role;
- U.S.-Canada cross-border issues between insurance advisers and their clients;
- employment disputes between insurance advisers and employees and their employers; and
- transactions for all types of major financial institutions, including life insurance companies, and property and casualty insurance companies.