The blockchain boom presents the opportunity for Canada to become a tech hub, but changes must be made in order for this to happen.
Fast-paced markets, advancing technologies, and a dynamic regulatory environment—Torys’ Technology Practice is a nimble team that keeps pace with the industry.
The technology sector is defined by change. Uncharted opportunities for change, such as new business models or first-of-type technologies, accompany and challenge the industry’s progress. We take pride in the creativity we apply to collaborating with our tech clients on their most important work, with multiple areas of legal service working in concert to successfully complete projects and transactions.
With vigilant watch over the changes shaping the industry, we have the knowledge and imagination to identify and make the most of our clients’ opportunities. Our clients are domestic, multinational, new-economy and traditional enterprises at every stage in development. We work with start-ups, later-stage and growth companies, public companies, private equity firms, venture capital investors, lenders and technology-oriented investment dealers.
We support our tech clients in all aspects of the creation, acquisition, use and commercial exploitation of their diverse work, including
- mergers and acquisitions
- private and public financings
- shareholder arrangements
- partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- venture capital and private equity fund formation
- stock exchange and Nasdaq listings
- litigation and dispute resolution
- corporate governance
- employment and consulting arrangements
- licensing, distribution, contracting and outsourcing arrangements
- intellectual property management, protection and enforcement (patents, trademarks and copyright)
- privacy matters
- marketing and packaging of products
- systems infrastructure, Internet and e-commerce matters