A multidisciplinary team of lawyers from our Real Estate, Projects, Energy and Litigation practices have a depth of experience representing clients in public and private construction projects in the real estate, infrastructure and energy sectors. We have acted for regional, national and international development companies, governmental agencies and project lenders involved in the development and construction of a variety of residential, retail, office, industrial, hotel, resort, infrastructure, energy and mining projects across Canada.
We have the expertise and practical experience necessary to provide advice with respect to all aspects of such projects from the planning stages through the construction process to completion, including litigation and dispute resolution, including mediation and arbitration. We advise clients on:
- the strategic planning of new development opportunities
- joint venture, consortium and joint bidding arrangements
- site acquisition and acquisition of temporary and permanent easements and rights-of-way
- environmental and regulatory matters affecting the use and development of land
- joint use, cost sharing and reciprocal operating agreements
- RFQ, RFP and tender procurement processes
- public-private partnerships
- agreements for DBF and DBFM alternative procurement structures
- EPC, Design-Build, construction, engineering, architectural and project/construction management contracts with design consultants, contractors, subcontractors and construction/project managers, using both construction industry standard documentation and customized
- bonds, guarantees and other performance security
- construction and project financing
When issues arise in connection with a construction project, we work closely with members of our leading Litigation and Dispute Resolution Practice to resolve the spectrum of construction claims, including delays, extra work, changed conditions, defective work and construction liens. We have also been involved in several failed-project cases that have also included mortgage foreclosure and lender liability claims. We also have extensive experience in litigation involving contaminated properties, regulated substances and allegedly defective materials.
We also have extensive experience in dealing with governments and governmental agencies, with which to assist our clients in understanding and obtaining necessary governmental and other stakeholder approvals.