Torys' Payments and Cards Practice is a multidisciplinary group advising clients on all aspects of the sector. We have played a leading role in many of the largest Canadian transactions in this area, and have assisted its clients opposite all of the leading card networks in implementing new technologies and business models.
The practice draws on the firm’s expertise across a number of disciplines, including financial services regulation, commercial technology, intellectual property (especially trademarks), privacy, M&A, tax and competition law to advise clients on a wide range of matters.
We advise on a wide range of matters, including:
- financial services regulatory matters in the payments system and cards area (and on the various operating rules and regulations for card networks)
- structuring card network brand and co-brand arrangements
- negotiating and drafting BIN/ICA servicing arrangements
- litigation and dispute resolution
- acquiring and developing card programs, payment systems and mobile payment solutions, and their outsourcing arrangements
- advising on consumer protection provisions and cost-of-borrowing disclosure requirements
- providing M&A advice on the acquisition and divestiture of portfolios.