In its Who's Who Legal Canada Special Report 2011, Law Business Research comments on several of Torys' key strengths and "an impressive (list of) 34 lawyers across 18 practice areas." Highlights include the following.
Torys enjoys its strongest presence in the life sciences chapter, where five lawyers are included.
- Conor McCourt, co-chair of the firm’s IP, food and drug regulatory group, is an "experienced and smart" lawyer
- Eileen McMahon, co-chair of the firm’s IP, food and drug regulatory group, advises large pharmaceutical companies on their regulatory requirements and intellectual property rights
- Cheryl Reicin is the head of the technology and life sciences practice group and concentrates on biotechnology, medical devices and health and safety information
- Andrew Shaughnessy is a "recognised" and highly praised lawyer (who is) "very well known" for his patents work
- Ingrid VanderElst is "top notch for IP knowledge"
Corporate and Capital Markets
- Richard Balfour is featured in governance, corporate and securities law
- Sharon Geraghty, co-head of the M&A practice, is a "world class" corporate lawyer
- Peter Jewett is "effective" and featured in governance, capital markets and M&A
- James Scarlett is the co-head of the firm’s mining group and an expert in governance and capital venture for listed natural resource companies
Competition and Antitrust
- Jay Holsten, chair of the firm’s competition and antitrust practice, is "very good on mergers" and is recommended by his peers
- Omar Wakil is "fabulous, very sharp on complex deals and has a lot of international experience"