Torys has "an extremely strong presence in the Toronto dispute resolution market." The firm's "notable corporate presence helps the litigation team to act for a variety of leading corporate and financial services clients." Sources noted that Torys has "an excellent litigation department with organized and diligent lawyers."
A particular highlight in 2010 was the firm's representation of CIBC in the high-profile defence of a C$600 million class action related to unpaid overtime.
- Sheila Block is appreciated by clients for her "great advocacy skills and decisiveness."
- John Laskin, ranked in arbitration and dispute resolution (Ontario), is a seasoned lawyer in class actions, as well as in competition and public law litigation. He successfully represented the CRTC in two Federal Court of Appeal decisions.
- Patricia Jackson, ranked in the dispute resolution (Ontario) and class action categories, is "an extremely experienced practitioner across a wide variety of civil litigation. She is highly acclaimed for her work in class actions, including the abovementioned CIBC matter. Sources note her "highly impressive skills, understanding of the business arena and sensitivity to client needs."
- James C. Tory is noted for his work in shareholder disputes, in addition to his broader commercial litigation practice.
- Wendy Matheson, with a wide civil litigation expertise, has an "impressive ability to bring a skilled team together very quickly."
- John Terry is ranked as a leading Canadian lawyer in arbitration.