Sources of Chambers Global 2011 report that they are “very impressed with the quality of work and the standards maintained" by Torys' banking and finance lawyers, who have a "deservedly good reputation.”
The firm "has weathered the economic storm well, picking up a good proportion of the project finance mandates in sectors as diverse as wind farms, solar projects and hospitals." Other work includes general bank lending, structured finance and securitisation, and regulatory issues relating to financial services M&A. The team represented Gerdau Ameristeel in a US$650 million senior secured asset-based revolving credit facility, and represented Dexia and Union Bank in a C$75 million facility to finance two solar projects.
- Michael Feldman, ranked in securitization, is described as "well-connected and a consistently skilled practitioner who is able to distinguish himself within the market."
- Blair Keefe, ranked in the banking and finance category, as well as in the financial services category, is "well-known for his excellence in the areas of insurance and financial regulation, and also gains respect for restructuring and general banking."
- Adam Delean has "particular expertise in lender work, and represented a syndicate of lenders in a C$290 million credit facility for Livingston International.
- Jim Hong, ranked in securitization, has "a hands-on approach to problems and in-depth knowledge when it comes to securitisation." He assisted Canadian SWIFT Master Auto Receivables Trust with the completion of its IPO in each of the Canadian provinces.
- Daniel Ford is primarily focused on project finance, and the likes of Bilfinger Berger Project Investments and TD Bank rely on his "excellent expertise."
- Jonathan Weisz is considered "an attentive, knowledgeable facilitator for getting transactions completed and in finding solutions." He has recently been active on various cross-border transactions, as well as solar and wind projects.
- Amanda Balasubramanian, who handles both borrower and lender work, is "on the ball, intelligent and good at engaging with clients."
- Rose Bailey was prominent representing the lenders to the Lower Mattagami project, which involved Ontario Power Generation. She is also recommended for her expertise in structured finance and in securitisation.
- Mark Bain handles a considerable volume of cross-border and project work.
- Kevin Fougere joined Torys' new Calgary office in March 2011 with prior experience that includes representing TD Bank and Capital Power in syndicated financings from the lender and borrower angles.