Torys' IP practice is "well-equipped to handle corporate IP work" and is best known for its defence of patents and IP management for clients in the pharmaceutical sector. It also concentrates on the financial services industry and specialises in electrical and software patents."
The group acts for clients such as Bayer, GlaxoSmithKline, CIBC and Pfizer. Sources say the team members are "attentive" and "work extra time," and they "keep me involved and informed." "I consider them a very good outside counsel."
Torys was selected by Pfizer as its Canadian representative in the Pfizer Legal Alliance, a group of top law firms that support the company's interests worldwide.
- Eileen McMahon is described as a "real go-getter" with "endless energy" in her representation of clients such as Procter & Gamble, Abbott Laboratories and Amgen Canada.
- Conor McCourt manages the trademark portfolios of Thomson Reuters and is "singled out for his timely advice, creative thinking and personable style."
- Andrew Shaughnessy, with a focus on IP litigation, has been representing Pfizer and Pfizer Canada in defending patents covering several of products such as Quinapril and Viagra.
- Andrew Bernstein handles disputes for Pfizer and has been defending Rogers Media in a class action suit relating to copyrights in electronic media.
- Teresa Reguly, with a PhD in molecular and medical genetics, advises clients in pharmaceuticals, medical devices and other regulated industries.