Torys is "highly rated for its commitment to clients, deep bench and universally strong partnership." The firm has seen "a significant increase in activity," with the team "pursuing new avenues in the mining space, both domestically and abroad. Highlights include several power sector and utilities mergers, as well as work in the financial services sector."
Sources report: "The team has that rare combination of attention to detail and business judgment." "Their work surpasses expectations."
- Peter Jewett is "a distinguished M&A veteran."
- Sharon Geraghty is "one of the practice's main assets, recognized for her excellent service and dedication to clients such as Manulife Financial."
- Philip Brown has "a solution-oriented approach to business." "He can stand back and look at the big picture."
- James Scarlett "does a terrific job," with work that crosses sector boundaries, and he also has experience within regulatory agencies.
- Richard Balfour advises securities regulators and governments on regulatory issues, and also proves himself with private clients. Clients call him "a thorough and practical lawyer who always adds a lot of value."
- Matthew Cockburn is commended for his "energy and technical proficiency."
- Kevin Morris co-heads the corporate and capital markets practice, and has handled several major domestic and North American transactions.
- Marlene Davidge is "esteemed in Canada and abroad for her work on public and private managed products and fund management."
- Ian Arellano joined Torys in 2010 and is cited as "a valuable hire for the team." His clients include Scotiabank and his work includes a significant cross-border portion.