Eileen McMahon, Conor McCourt, Andrew Shaughnessy, Peter Wilcox and Andrew Bernstein are among Canada's top-ranked intellectual property practitioners in Chambers & Partners' Chambers Global: World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Client’s Guide 2010.
Torys' IP team is maturing into a practice of real significance. It has built up a striking list of regular patent and trademark clients, including Thomson Reuters, CIBC and Procter & Gamble. The practice also has impressive expertise and clients in the life sciences area, and with Pfizer, Wyeth and Abbott Laboratories on the client roster, is frequently involved in major pharmaceutical patent prosecution and litigation.
- Eileen McMahon co-chairs the IP and food and drug regulatory practices, and gains plaudits for her biotechnology expertise. She is described as a keen student of technological developments and praised for going above and beyond for her clients.
- Conor McCourt is co-chair of the IP practice, focusing on the chemical, biochemical and pharmaceutical sectors. He is known for his ability to produce customer-friendly advice.
- Andrew Shaughnessy, a creative and intelligent lawyer, has been appearing on a number of patent disputes for Pfizer.
- Peter Wilcox, a tough litigator who is always well-prepared, places particular emphasis on pharmaceutical and biotech patent litigation.
- Andrew Bernstein is described as exceptionally smart.