Peter Jewett, Sharon Geraghty, Philip Brown, Matthew Cockburn, Stephen Donovan, Jamie Scarlett, Marlene Davidge, Richard Balfour, Patricia Koval, Kevin Morris and John Emanoilidis are among Canada's top-ranked corporate/M&A lawyers in Chambers & Partners' Chambers Global: World’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Client’s Guide 2010.
A wide range of sources commend this group, with its mixture of experience and reliability a major draw. The team has significant users, including National Bank Financial, Thomson Reuters and IPIC.
- Peter Jewett is a top-notch jewel in the crown at Torys. He represented Petro-Canada in its merger with Suncor Energy.
- Richard Balfour acted for Sun Life Financial in the C$2.3 billion sale of its ownership stake in CI Financial to Scotiabank.
- Patricia Koval represented RBC Capital Markets in a matter involving RioCan REIT.
- Marlene Davidge is known for her prolific asset and wealth management work.
- Sharon Geraghty, co-head of Torys' M&A group, is an excellent choice for domestic and cross-border acquisitions and is also active in banking.
- Philip Brown is noted for his amenable approach. He creates win-win solutions and eschews aggression.
- James Scarlett's practice covers corporate finance, M&A and corporate governance.
- Matthew Cockburn is a measured and thoughtful individual who is raising his profile in the market.
- Kevin Morris is very pragmatic and just great at building business relationships. He is singled out as a potential next generation leader.
- Stephen Donovan co-heads the private equity group, and represents clients in acquisitions, financings and exit strategies.
- John Emanoilidis also acted for RBC Capital Markets, working on a C$184 million secondary offering of trust units.