Torys' corporate and M&A operation is distinguished by its "hard-nosed business approach" and by being "a clear leader on the income trusts front," not to mention a "serious player in private equity matters."
- The "well-seasoned" Peter Jewett enjoys an "established reputation as a top-tier lawyer". Recognized in surveys as a "consummate gentleman," he has "such a personality that he will always attract a lot of clients."
- James Scarlett is said to display "those qualities that set him apart from the average lawyer--he is innovative and creative in evaluating the transaction, identifying the key issues and interpreting the law. He works with the client as part of a team in order to construct solutions."
- Marlene Davidge is "Canada's most knowledgeable lawyer in the field of investment funds," say clients.
- Clients concur that Stephen Donovan is a "lawyer who can easily digest our business requirements and factor them into his legal advice--more so than most."
- James Turner has an "excellent grasp of legal frameworks and is capable of working within them in new ways," say competitors. He is also perceived as an "influential securities lawyer" and a "fierce defender of his clients' interests."
- Richard Balfour is said to have been instrumental in sustaining Torys' profile in Vancouver, while Philip Mohtadi is well-regarded for his securities, financing and M&A practice.