Our tax team covers the latest in U.S. inversions and new rules targeting mutual funds and linked notes in Canada.
Torys’ Tax Practice ranks among the best in Canada, with the expertise to establish strong foundations that support the effective execution of our clients’ most sophisticated goals. Our clients rely on us to ensure that each discrete transaction—from the compensation of a single executive to the structuring of a multinational group—faithfully reflects their long-term objectives.
Tax is often a key component of the planning stages of legal work. As early participants on transactions, we provide the planning that is critical to creating efficiencies at the outset. Our team approach integrates the firm’s leading skills from across our practice areas, including M&A, competition and foreign investment review, executive compensation and benefits, real estate, intellectual property, and securities. We also provide ongoing tax advisory work for our clients. A substantial amount of our work is multijurisdictional, with a high level of expertise in cross-border and international matters, as well as board advisory and governance and transfer pricing issues. Alongside advising on specific matters, we provide ongoing tax advisory work for clients as their businesses evolve, including advising on completed transactions in all phases of the tax dispute process.
Our tax practitioners have represented corporations in significant cross-border joint ventures where the participants are strategic, financial or tax-exempt. We represent large multinational businesses, domestic public and private companies, and financial institutions, including banks, insurance companies and trust companies. We also represent issuers and sponsors of private equity investment funds and superannuated pension funds, and assist venture capital investors, start-up companies and mature businesses with national and international tax management.
We manage complex transactions and structuring challenges, with services including
- domestic tax planning
- international tax structuring, including the structuring of cross-border financial instruments for both issuers and financial intermediaries
- multinational tax aspects of multinational transactions
- transfer pricing
- interpretation and application of tax treaties
- tax aspects of new investments and new business formations, including corporations, partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- tax controversy
- commodity taxation
We also provide sophisticated tax planning on
- domestic and international M&A transactions, including divestitures
- leveraged recapitalizations
- leveraged buyouts
- corporate finance transactions, including securitizations, derivatives, synthetic instruments and lending transactions
- multijurisdictional operations
- managed assets, including mutual funds, hedge funds, fund-of-funds and offshore funds
- real estate investments
- pension investments
- executive compensation planning
- restructuring and insolvency matters