We know the highly dynamic pressures inherent to today’s media and communications industry. Our team has the industry expertise and creative agility to guide clients through the constantly changing landscape of the sector.
Different areas of media pose specific problems—we pride ourselves on providing tailored solutions that support our clients’ objectives. Our transactional experience in the sector allows us to help our clients efficiently meet their business goals related to matters including M&A, corporate financing, and joint ventures—and our strong team of litigators supports clients in times of disputes. We also assist clients in both new and traditional media in their creation, acquisition, use and commercial exploitation of a multitude of intellectual property, technologies and services.
Through our offices, we are uniquely positioned to provide seamless advice on Canadian and U.S. issues, and on cross-border and international matters. Our clients are active across the full spectrum of the media and communications sector and include wireless telecom companies, Internet and programming firms, radio and television broadcasting companies, cable and satellite operators, and players in print media, including newsprint, magazines, and other publishing.
Our Media and Communications team handles a range of work, including
- mergers and acquisitions
- private and public financings
- shareholder arrangements
- partnerships, joint ventures and strategic alliances
- venture capital and private equity fund formation
- stock exchange and Nasdaq listings
- litigation and dispute resolution
- corporate governance
- employment and consulting arrangements
- licensing, distribution, contracting and outsourcing arrangements
- intellectual property management, protection and enforcement (patents, trademarks and copyright)
- privacy matters
- marketing and packaging of print media
- systems infrastructure, Internet and e-commerce matters