2015 Year in Review—Top 10 Food Regulatory Issues in Canada.
Our team has a reputation for excellence: we are ranked as one of the premier life sciences practices in both the U.S. and Canada.
Torys’ Life Sciences Practice is widely recognized for its transactional expertise, and for its range of IP services. We advise our biotech, pharmaceutical, medical device and other health technology clients on protecting inventions, commercialization, establishing appropriate and tax efficient business structures, and in licensing, financing and mergers and acquisitions. Our team of 42 lawyers and patent agents, including 8 PhDs, provides all of the services required by life sciences companies and their partnering organizations—inventors and start-ups, multinational pharmaceutical and biotech companies, life sciences investors, venture capitalists and investment bankers. We represent 14 of the world's top 20 pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies, ranked by healthcare revenue.
Our services include advice on
- mergers and acquisitions
- angel, venture capital and private placements
- public offerings
- licensing, joint ventures and strategic partnerships
- distribution and manufacturing agreements
- corporate and international tax structuring
- accessing R&D tax credits
- regulatory compliance and marketing, including advice on regulatory, advertising and pricing issues; compliance for companies whose conduct is regulated by the Food and Drugs Act; trade, pricing and cross-border issues associated with the sale of drugs over the Internet
- protection and commercial exploitation of intellectual property rights, including ongoing strategy and management of patents and trademarks, including those related to software and business methods used in the collection and use of data, diagnostics and other pharma-related services
- issues arising in connection with research and clinical trials
- privacy issues regarding the collection and use of data
- public and private reimbursement (through formularies) for drugs under applicable laws
- technology contracting, including outsourcing and licensing
- litigation, dispute resolution and arbitration of business and intellectual property disputes