As a legal support professional at Torys, you will enjoy both an exciting, fast-paced work environment and a supportive, collegial and team-based culture. Our positions are best suited to individuals who take pride and ownership in their work and demonstrate exceptional client service in everything they do. In return, we offer a wide range of legal assistant opportunities and work arrangements, and competitive compensation and benefits, along with the tools required to excel in the job. Torys is committed to a continuous learning environment; we therefore provide extensive training to our employees upon hire and during the course of their career at Torys.
Legal Assistant (New York)
We are currently seeking a Legal Assistant to join our legal support team to provide support to three or more attorneys. This position requires an individual with a strong client service inclination, team-oriented proactive nature and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
Practice, File and Contact Management:
- Organize and maintain client/matter files in email and electronic document management system, including correspondence, transaction documents, client lists and contact information.
- Initiate and manage intake process, including client conflicts checks, new matter memos and engagement letters.
- Arrange travel arrangements including booking flights, hotel reservations and car rentals as required; organizing schedules and itineraries.
- Handle routine client inquiries (internal and external).
- Assist with preparation of client and business development materials.
- Prepare monthly accounts for review and approval which includes working with Accounts Receivable team to process accounts on a timely basis, updating and revising pro-formas, ensuring compliance with client-specific billing requirements and following up on entry of daily dockets.
- Prepare and manage other expense related matters (e.g., check requisitions, expense reports, etc.)
Calendar Management/Client Meetings:
- Organize and maintain attorneys’ calendars in Outlook.
- Arrange for internal/external client meetings which may include booking restaurants for lunches/dinners and contacting internal and external clients and verifying attendee availability and/or coordinating with Client Services for client events and receptions.
- Prepare/draft/revise standard documents and correspondence for review/approval which includes letters, memos and agreements.
- Organize and maintain documents for, and participate in, document intensive transaction closings.
- Organize and compile executed copies of closing documents and attachments.
- Assist with various administrative responsibilities including printing/photocopying, scanning, mail, replenish supplies, coordinating conference calls, obtain references material from library, etc.
- Assist with troubleshooting of basic technical issues and escalate to document services as appropriate.
- Process conference/seminar registrations by obtaining approval from Professional Resources and arranging for payment and reimbursement.
ATTRIBUTES & EXPERIENCE
- At least 5 years of administrative/legal assistant experience within a major law firm, preferably focusing on corporate practice;
- Strong desire to support and work closely with attorneys as an integrated team member of the practice;
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and ability to interact effectively with individuals at all levels within the organization with tact and diplomacy;
- Proactive nature and inclination to take ownership over projects, working independently with minimal oversight;
- Fluency in written and spoken Japanese would be a strong asset;
- Strong interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work both collaboratively with diverse and varied personalities;
- Strong organizational, attention to detail, and time management skills to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines in a high pressure environment;
- Strong working knowledge of firm software (Adobe Professional/Nuance Power PDF, MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel) as well as experience working in document management and time entry billing systems;
- Post-secondary degree or diploma/certification in legal assistant or related studies strongly preferred; and
- Ability to work overtime to meet client demands when required.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please address your resume and cover letter, stating your salary expectations to Firm Admin Recruiting firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in Torys LLP, however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Click here to download a PDF of this opportunity.
We foster an inclusive and accessible environment and are committed to providing support to applicants
and firm members with disabilities. If you require accommodation at any time during the recruitment
process, please contact Kathleen Mon, Senior Manager, NY Administrative & Professional Resources.