In its Who's Who Legal Canada Special Report 2010, Law Business Research comments on several of Torys' key strengths and "impressive and varied pool of expertise in a number of areas." Highlights include the following. (The complete list of Torys' recognized lawyers in 2010 is found here).
Life Sciences and Intellectual Property
Torys LLP leads the field in terms of inclusions in the life sciences chapter, with five of its lawyers ranking highly in our research:
- "Cheryl Reicin is praised for her 'unique' practice, encompassing 'tremendous' cross-border expertise in biotechnology and medical device companies as well as private equity and venture capital funds."
- "The 'remarkable' Eileen McMahon is recognised for her 'excellent' IP assets and rights enforcement. She co-chairs the firm’s IP and food and drug regulatory practice groups and is a registered patent and trademark agent in both Canada and the United States."
- "Ingrid VanderElst is known for her IP work with a strong competition focus."
- "IP group co-chair Conor McCourt is praised for his patent, trademark and regulatory work for chemical and pharmaceutical companies."
- "Andrew Shaughnessy completes the firm's listing as the 'go-to guy' for IP litigation. His 'strong presence in court' also gains him a place in the patent chapter.
Technology, Media and Telecom
In matters concerning Internet and e-commerce, the firm boasts three listings:
- "Joint heads of the business and technology sourcing group Gabor Takach, a 'business-minded and talented lawyer,' and Daniel Logan, who is well-experienced in technology and outsourcing-related transactional work, have both represented clients in leading transactions for development, acquisition and licensing in Canada."
- "The 'terrific' Eric Boehm has acted on technology and money transfer issues for various prominent banks and in a wide variety of outsourcing agreements."
Torys has a very strong private funds practice:
- "The 'very knowledgeable' Peter Ballantyne advises sponsors and investors in the structuring and negotiation of private equity funds and co-investment transactions."
- "Patricia Koval regularly acts for issuers and investment dealers in structuring international, cross-border and domestic public and private financings of equity and other securities."
Corporate and Capital Markets
- "As part of the capital markets group, James Scarlett is known for his impressive work. He has acted for Davis + Henderson in its IPO."
- "Peter Jewett, head of the corporate and capital markets practice, was highlighted in our research as 'well-respected'. He is experienced in advising senior management and boards of directors on a broad range of topics, including current issues of corporate governance where he is considered a 'source of sound, commercially viable advice.' He also features in the M&A chapter as a 'big name.'"
- "The 'impressive' co-head of the M&A practice, Sharon Geraghty, was highly nominated by peers and clients for her capital markets work, and for her 'consistently impressive standard of her work.'"