Torys’ Tax Practice ranks among the best in Canada, and several of our lawyers are recognized internationally as leading advisers by World Tax, Chambers Global, Lexpert and others. We are also among the most highly recommended firms in categories such as cross-border structuring, tax planning and M&A.
Our lawyers represent large multinational businesses, domestic public and private companies, and financial institutions, including banks, insurance companies and trust companies. We also represent issuers and sponsors of private equity investment funds and superannuated pension funds, and assist venture capital investors, start-up companies and mature businesses with national and international tax management.
We have particular expertise in managing complex transactions and structuring challenges, with services including
We also provide sophisticated tax planning on
- domestic and international M&A transactions, including divestitures
- leveraged recapitalizations
- leveraged buyouts
- corporate finance transactions, including securitizations, derivatives, synthetic instruments and lending transactions
- operations in many jurisdictions
- managed assets, including mutual funds, hedge funds, fund-of-funds and offshore funds
- real estate investments
- pension investments
- executive compensation planning
- restructuring and insolvency matters
As early participants on these deals, we provide the planning that is critical to creating efficiencies at the outset. Our tax practitioners have represented corporations in significant cross-border joint ventures where the participants are strategic, financial or tax-exempt.