Torys LLP traces its roots to Tory and Associates, founded in 1941 by prominent Toronto business lawyer John Stewart Donald Tory. John S.D. Tory graduated at the top of his class at Osgoode Hall, and earned a J.D. from Harvard University. He practised with the W.N. Tilley law firm in Toronto for a few years and then launched his own firm with a focus on corporate law.
In 1954, Mr. Tory’s twin sons John A. Tory and James M. Tory joined the firm. Arthur Binnington and William DesLauriers, law school classmates of the twin sons, also joined Tory and Associates.
John S.D. Tory passed away in 1965, leaving the firm in his sons’ hands. Although the Tory brothers were only 35 years old, together with their partners, they grew the firm by maintaining and developing relationships with leading corporate clients. The firm was ultimately renamed to Tory Tory DesLauriers & Binnington. In the late 1960s, the firm added a litigation practice, which was enhanced a few years later with the firm's 1972 merger with Kimber, Dubin.
In 1973, John Tory left the firm to serve as senior financial adviser to Ken Thomson in the management and expansion of The Thomson Corporation, while James M. Tory continued to lead the firm.
From the 1970s through to the 1990s, the firm continued to forge lasting relationships with clients, securing its reputation as one of Canada’s leading business law firms.
The year 2000 brought another milestone to the firm's history, as Tory Tory DesLauriers & Binnington merged with a New York corporate firm whose predecessor was established in 1948. The firm rebranded to create Torys LLP.
In 2011, Torys further expanded its practice by opening a Calgary office. And in April, 2013, Torys opened its Montréal office.
Today, Torys LLP is a globally recognized law firm with offices in Toronto, New York, Calgary and Montréal.
James M. Tory remains with the firm as Counsel and Chair emeritus.