Torys' Calgary office was established to fulfill the needs of our Canadian and international clients that are increasingly active in Alberta. With the opening of the office, the firm has brought together an experienced, collaborative team of lawyers who will serve our clients with the same superior service and value for which Torys is known.
Areas of Expertise
Our Calgary practitioners offer integrated services in a range of practice areas, including the following:
- corporate and capital markets
- mergers and acquisitions
- project finance, corporate finance and lending
- project development and construction
- private equity
- oil and gas
Our lawyers have recently represented the following clients:
- Canadian Energy Services in its C$225 million offering of 7.375% senior unsecured notes
- China Development Bank and a syndicate of lenders, as Canadian counsel, in the provision of financing to China National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC) in its acquisition of Nexen Inc.
- Canadian Energy Services in its strategic acquisition of JACAM Chemical Company Inc.'s business assets
- Viterra in its C$6.1 billion acquisition by Glencore International plc.
- Petrominerales in its US$36.9 million acquisition of 75% interest in Alvopetro S.A.
- Husky Energy in its joint venture with CPC Corporation to explore an offshore block in the Taiwan Strait, a first in recent times for a Western operator
- SilverBirch Energy in its acquisition by Teck Resources
- Bonavista Energy Corporation in a C$200 million bought deal offering
- Greengate Power in its C$550 million wind energy project agreements with Vestas
- Husky Energy on matters pertaining to Husky’s joint venture with China National Offshore Oil Corporation to develop oil and gas projects in the South China Sea
- Emera Inc. on matters pertaining to its strategic relationship with Algonquin Power and numerous acquisitions of generation, transmission and distribution assets
- the underwriters in Athabasca Oil Sands’ C$1.35 billion initial public offering – the largest initial public offering in the history of Canada’s oil and gas industry
- a 21-bank syndicate in the C$1.735 billion project financing for the construction of the Southern Lights pipeline from Edmonton to Illinois
- Cyries Energy in its C$1 billion combination with Iteration Energy
- Petrofund Energy Trust in its C$11 billion combination with Penn West Energy Trust
- PTT Exploration and Production Public Company as Canadian counsel in their US$2.8 billion acquisition of a 40% partnership interest in Statoil Canada Partnership, whose main interest is the Kai Kos Dehseh oil sands project in Canada
- International Petroleum Investment Corporation in its US$2.3 billion acquisition (including debt) of Nova Chemicals – Canada’s first instance of a foreign sovereign wealth fund taking 100% ownership of a Canadian company
Meet our Calgary team.