Torys' Calgary office was established to fulfill the needs of our Canadian and international clients that are increasingly active in Alberta. With the opening of the office, the firm has brought together an experienced, collaborative team of lawyers who will serve our clients with the same superior service and value for which Torys is known.
Areas of Expertise
Our Calgary practitioners offer integrated services in a range of practice areas, including the following:
Oil and Gas
Torys' Oil and Gas Practice has a sophisticated perspective on oil and gas with sharp attention to the developments that drive the industry. From exploration and production to processing and transportation, we provide pragmatic advice to our oil and gas clients in upstream, midstream and downstream markets in their most significant domestic and international oil and gas matters.
Combining the latest market insights with expertise in traditional and ground-breaking cross-border transactions in all major industrial sectors, our Corporate and Capital Markets practice is at the forefront of the industry. The unique experience of our Calgary office provides our clients with targeted insight into key industry sectors, including Canada's thriving global oil and gas markets.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Torys' M&A Practice is known for its experience in sophisticated, innovative transactions. We advise on high-profile transactions as well as deals for small and mid-sized companies. We provide seamless cross-border M&A services to clients in the United States and Canada. We have expertise in corporate and securities law and litigation, competition and antitrust law, tax law, foreign investment and regulatory matters (including stock exchange requirements), and employment, pension and benefits issues.
Banking, Lending and Project Finance
As one of the world's major energy centres, Calgary is a base of operation for international financial institutions. We have extensive experience advising corporate clients and financial institutions on a wide range of financing transactions, including project financing, syndicated bank transactions, bond financings, cross-border financings, acquisition financings and asset- and reserve-based lending. We also advise a wide range of industries and have particular expertise advising on financings in the oil and gas, oil sands, pipeline, energy services and renewable power sectors.
With one of the most high-profile cross-border practices in Canada, Torys has a long history of working closely with foreign and domestic private equity investors on both sides of the border. Torys' Private Equity Practice offers best-in-class advice and services in the successful structuring and completion of private equity transactions.
Our lawyers have recently represented the following clients:
- Alta Energy Luxembourg and Blackstone Group in their sale of 67,900 net acres of the Duvernay shale formation in west-central Alberta to Chevron Canada Limited
- Petrominerales in its C$1.55 billion sale to Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp., including the spinout of its Brazilian assets to form ResourceCo and related acquisition of the remaining 25% stake in its existing Brazilian assets
- Petrominerales in its incorporated joint venture with Fortress Energy Inc. to acquire a 75% interest in Alvopetro S.A., its country entry into Brazil
- Pengrowth Energy in its US$385 million private placement of senior secured notes and its $1 billion senior credit facility
- China Development Bank and a syndicate of lenders, as Canadian counsel, in the provision of financing to China National Offshore Oil Company (CNOOC) in its acquisition of Nexen Inc.
- Borealis Infrastructure and Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan in the US$1.49 billion sale of Express-Platte Pipeline System to Spectra Energy Corp.
- ArcelorMittal in the restructuring of its joint venture and offtake arrangements with Iron Ore Holdings, LP in connection with Baffinland Iron Mines Corp.’s Mary River Project in Nunavut
- Viterra in its C$6.1 billion acquisition by Glencore International plc.
- Royal Bank of Canada as the lead lender of a 11-bank syndicate, in Gibson Energy Inc.’s C$500 million senior secured revolving credit facility refinancing and as the lead underwriter in its concurrent US$500 million private placement of 6.75% senior unsecured notes in the United States and C$250 million private placement of 7.00% senior unsecured notes in Canada
- Citigroup Global Markets, Dundee Securities Europe and Pareto Securities as the joint bookrunners in Africa Oil Corp.’s SEK 2.9 billion (US$450 million) brokered private placement of common shares
- Canadian Energy Services
- in its C$225 million offering of 7.375% senior unsecured notes and in its C$150 million senior secured credit facility
- in its strategic acquisition of JACAM Chemical Company Inc.'s business assets
- Husky Energy in its joint venture with CPC Corporation to explore an offshore block in the Taiwan Strait, a first in recent times for a Western operator
- Canaccord Genuity and Dundee Securities as the lead underwriters in Bellatrix Exploration Ltd.’s C$175 million bought deal offering of common shares
- Acumen Capital Finance Partners as the lead underwriter in Alaris Royalty Corporation's C$106 million bought deal offering of subscription receipts
- Credit Suisse Securities (USA) and RBC Capital Markets as the lead underwriters in Seven Generations Energy Ltd.’s US$400 million private placement of 8.25% senior unsecured notes
- DIRTT Environmental Solutions
- in its C$20 million private placement of senior subordinated convertible notes to Kayne Anderson Mezzanine Partners I, L.P.
- in its establishment of a new credit facility with Comerica Bank
- Macquarie Capital Markets
- as financial adviser to Kulczyk Oil Ventures Inc. in its C$112 million acquisition of Winstar Resources Ltd.
- as the lead placement agent in TORC Oil & Gas Ltd.'s C$100 million bought deal private placement of subscription receipts and flow-through subscription receipts and as financial adviser in its subsequent acquisition of Vero Energy Inc.
- Blue Sky Exploration Limited in its private placement in Montana Exploration Corp. to fund part of the acquisition of Waldron Energy Corporation
- PetroBakken Energy in the spinoff of shares by its controlling shareholder Petrobank Energy and Resources Limited
- Luxfer Holdings in its acquisition of Dynatek Industries Ltd.
- Scotiabank and the National Bank of Canada as the lead arrangers in a nine bank syndicate, as the lead arrangers, in a 9-bank syndicate in connection with a C$500 million multi-tranche senior secured credit facility for Long Run Exploration Ltd.
- Acumen Capital Finance Partners as the lead underwriter in Alaris Royalty Corporation's C$49 million offering of common shares
- TD Securities as the lead underwriter in Bonavista Energy Corporation's C$345 million bought deal offering of common shares in the United States and Canada; and with CIBC World Markets, as the lead underwriters, in Bonavista’s C$200 million bought deal offering
- Kayne Anderson Energy Funds in its investment in West Valley Energy Corporation
- Petrominerales in its US$400 million private placement of 3.25% convertible bonds
- SilverBirch Energy in tax matters relating to its acquisition by Teck Resources
- Macquarie Capital Markets as the lead underwriter in Red River Oil's C$120 million public offering of subscription receipts
- CIBC and BMO Capital Markets as the lead lenders in a 15-bank syndicate in connection with Penn West Petroleum Ltd.’s C$3 billion credit facility
- Greengate Power Corporation in its C$500 million turbine supply and long-term service and maintenance agreements with Vestas-Canadian Wind Technology Inc. for its 300 MW Blackspring Ridge I Wind project (Blackspring Ridge I)
- United Hydrocarbon International in its long term drilling agreement and C$80 million combined well service agreement for its operations in the Republic of Chad
- ZAM Ventures in its private placement of common shares in Velvet Energy Ltd.
- various Canadian and international oil and gas companies
- in the development of a new and specialized form of joint operating agreement for a major Canadian shale project in the Northwest Territories
- in a joint operating agreement for an onshore block in Brazil
- in farmout and joint operating negotiations for onshore blocks in the Middle East
- in an EPC contract for a floating liquefaction facility
- Royal Bank of Canada, as the lead lender in a 4-bank syndicate, in connection with a C$100 million reserve based loan made available to a privately held, Calgary-based oil and gas provider
- CIBC and BMO, as the lead lenders in a 6-bank syndicate, in connection with a C$260 million reserve based acquisition credit facility provided to a private equity sponsored, Alberta-based oil and gas producer
Our lawyers have also represented:
- Rosneft in its acquisition of a 30% stake in Exxon Mobil Corporation's Cardium position in Alberta
- the underwriters in Athabasca Oil Sands’ C$1.35 billion initial public offering – the largest initial public offering in the history of Canada’s oil and gas industry
- Husky Energy on matters pertaining to Husky’s joint venture with China National Offshore Oil Corporation to develop oil and gas projects in the South China Sea
- Spectra Energy in its joint venture with BG Group plc to jointly develop and operate the C$8 billion Prince Rupert natural gas pipeline project in Northeast British Columbia
- Emera Inc. on matters pertaining to its strategic relationship with Algonquin Power and numerous acquisitions of generation, transmission and distribution assets
- a 21-bank syndicate in the C$1.735 billion project financing for the construction of the Southern Lights pipeline from Edmonton to Illinois
- Cyries Energy in its C$1 billion combination with Iteration Energy
- Petrofund Energy Trust in its C$11 billion combination with Penn West Energy Trust
- PTT Exploration and Production Public Company as Canadian counsel in their US$2.8 billion acquisition of a 40% partnership interest in Statoil Canada Partnership, whose main interest is the Kai Kos Dehseh oil sands project in Canada
- International Petroleum Investment Corporation in its US$2.3 billion acquisition (including debt) of Nova Chemicals – Canada’s first instance of a foreign sovereign wealth fund taking 100% ownership of a Canadian company
Meet our Calgary team.